41 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

First batch is in secondary, I'll be kegging it this weekend most likely. So thirsty for homebrew!!

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

stain, any chance you have the means (a sparge fridge) handy to cold-crash your primary fermenter?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

Looks like people have given up on secondaries. I was one of the last supporters of it but now I allow the beer to sit in primary a little bit longer, let the beer clear a bit and then I go straight to a keg, chill, add a gel solution to further the clarification and then I force-carb. It's working very well. As far as the waiting part goes... I fully understand. The best way to alleviate the pain of waiting is to brew more. ;)

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Looks like people have given up on secondaries. I was one of the last supporters of it but now I allow the beer to sit in primary a little bit longer, let the beer clear a bit and then I go straight to a keg, chill, add a gel solution to further the clarification and then I force-carb. It's working very well. As far as the waiting part goes... I fully understand. The best way to alleviate the pain of waiting is to brew more. ;)

Yup .. just say no to Secondaries!

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

+1 to no secondaries. 

I find a good cold-crash of the primary fermenter (Ale Pails in my case), for 1-2 weeks @ 34°F, plus careful racking into the keg, gives a clear beer.

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

stain, any chance you have the means (a sparge fridge) handy to cold-crash your primary fermenter?

Maybe. I suppose I could do it in the chest freezer I'll be using for kegs? There's lots of room...

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Maybe. I suppose I could do it in the chest freezer I'll be using for kegs? There's lots of room...

That would be good; it'll let the beer clear up a bit before kegging, so you'll have fewer yeasty pints to deal with.

#8 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

As far as the waiting part goes... I fully understand. The best way to alleviate the pain of waiting is to brew more. ;)

Yeah, I'm likely going to do another batch this weekend. I'm off work Friday and Monday. Just gotta figure out what style..

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, I'm likely going to do another batch this weekend. I'm off work Friday and Monday. Just gotta figure out what style..

If I remember right you do not like hoppy beers so with that said I would think about something like and English Mild.  It would be flavorful, low hops and ready fast.

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, I'm more of a malt head... Also ABV over 6% is a nice bonus...

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, I'm more of a malt head... Also ABV over 6% is a nice bonus...

well then a mild is NOT for you.

#12 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

wee heavy

#13 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

well then a mild is NOT for you.

It's not a deal breaker, the amber ale I brewed will be no more than 5% but my favorite beers these days seem to be right in the area of 7-8%...

#14 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

It's not a deal breaker, the amber ale I brewed will be no more than 5% but my favorite beers these days seem to be right in the area of 7-8%...

As Murphy said, a wee heavy would probably work for what you're looking for; another idea might be a dopplebock.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hate doing it, but I have to say that when I secondary a batch, it seems to clear up much better and in certain cases, removes the need for Knox.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

Hate doing it, but I have to say that when I secondary a batch, it seems to clear up much better and in certain cases, removes the need for Knox.

Clear beer is so anti-New England ..lol

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

I know. Kinda makes ya wonder tho. Clear beer since the dawn of beer and now...... Not that there's anything wrong with either right?

I know. Kinda makes ya wonder tho. Clear beer since the dawn of beer and now...... Not that there's anything wrong with either right?

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I like both kinds but I do get tired of some of the new buzzwords associated with some of the new non-clear beers that are coming out. 

I brew both too so it to me is a technique and not a flaw or lazy brewing as many claim.

Edited by drez77, 09 January 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111400 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

I'm not totally concerned with visible clarity. I was always under the impression that secondary would smooth out some flavors though?

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm not totally concerned with visible clarity. I was always under the impression that secondary would smooth out some flavors though?

oxidation can hide some issues.  otherwise I don't know what secondary would do for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users