#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Fellas, 3 weeks ago I made Jamil's Vienna with 34/70 using the quick lager method. It's tasting pretty good although cloudy as hell. Yesterday I kegged the Vienna and made a double bock pouring the slurry directly into the fermenter and holy crap, in under 2 hours I had a 2 inch krauzen and plenty of activity. I pitched at 70 and immediately placed it in the 45 F chamber. This morning it was strumming along real nice. I guess the quick eruption is likely due to a combo of the higher pitch temp and a butt-load of slurry. I hope I didn't F it up pitching that high, but time will tell I suppose. Any thoughts on this?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

I got nothing for you but I was wondering what to make with the cake of 34/70 I will have after I move the IPL over and I think that a Vienna would be perfect... Thanks!

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Brother Poptop, your beer will be just fine.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

I got nothing for you but I was wondering what to make with the cake of 34/70 I will have after I move the IPL over and I think that a Vienna would be perfect... Thanks!

I've been wanting to make that recipe for awhile now and even though it needs some sleepy time in the keg, I think it's going to be a real crowd pleaser.

Brother Poptop, your beer will be just fine.

Thanks! Brulosophy's Xbeeriment on 34/70 and temps suggests the same. Second lager ever, a guy has his worries haha.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Nice thing about 34/70 is that it's a clean yeast at 70° and 50°.

And pitching a double bock onto an entire yeast cake isn't (IMHO) overpitching. 

Pics of the final product will be needed, of course.  :D

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Gladly

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

I've been wanting to make that recipe for awhile now and even though it needs some sleepy time in the keg, I think it's going to be a real crowd pleaser.

That is what I was thinking.  I would brew it now and let it "hang out " till opening day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users