#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

fermentation is complete.  the yeast/hops interaction is interesting - kind of fruity.  def needs the yeast to drop out before I can tell exactly what's going on here taste wise.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

this beer seems so strange to me right now.  not necessarily bad but just odd.  I should have realized this is what a lager yeast + lots of hops will get you but for some reason I couldn't imagine it.  now that I'm tasting it it all makes sense.  I think with a little clearing + dry hop it will be different from how it is now though.  I'll update in the near future...

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

did I mentioned this is 7.3% ABV?  yowzer.  haven't had a beer this strong in a while.

#24 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

this beer seems so strange to me right now. not necessarily bad but just odd. I should have realized this is what a lager yeast + lots of hops will get you but for some reason I couldn't imagine it. now that I'm tasting it it all makes sense. I think with a little clearing + dry hop it will be different from how it is now though. I'll update in the near future...

You haven't had Jack's Abby's IPLs and DIPLs?

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

You haven't had Jack's Abby's IPLs and DIPLs?

I don't think I have.  I'm not sure I've ever had an IPL.  right now this has a very distinct tropical fruit kind of thing going on that I don't normally get with this hop combo.

#26 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

I don't think I have. I'm not sure I've ever had an IPL. right now this has a very distinct tropical fruit kind of thing going on that I don't normally get with this hop combo.

Their beers are everywhere, here, so I assumed they were up there, too.

Interestingly, I would say the best Jack's Abby hoppy lagers are the ones with tropical hops.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

Their beers are everywhere, here, so I assumed they were up there, too.

Interestingly, I would say the best Jack's Abby hoppy lagers are the ones with tropical hops.

I believe they are available.  I've had some of their my "normal" offerings I think.  I think they are on tap at whole foods sometimes.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

the weirdness that my wife sees it is that it has a bready kind of taste mixing with the hops.  i can see that.  hopefully that's just yeast that needs to settle out?

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

i just tried some of the pils with US hallertau that I used as a big part of the starter for this beer (1 gal).  this beer tastes straight up fruity with the dry hop of hallertau in it.  nothing like the hydro sample.  so I think that's where the fruit aspect came from.

#30 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Lager yeasts are a bit famous for their grape esters, too.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

i will say as yeast settles my 2L overflow sample of this has gotten less weird.  I think there was quite a bit of yeast still floating around.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

last I tried this it was well on it's way to being excellent.  the yeast profile is much cleaner now and the hops make it almost sticky.  so very excellent.  I'll update once I've pulled through the really cloudy pints (full of hop matter).

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:08 AM

so this is pretty clear now.  I'm not sure I could ID it as a lager if I didn't already know.  the sheer hoptitude masks it completely.  it also doesn't taste at all like it's 7.3% ABV.  tastes more like 5% ABV.  so basically it just tastes like a pliny clone.  I would not have expected this based on how lagery it tasted early on.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

so this is pretty clear now.  I'm not sure I could ID it as a lager if I didn't already know.  the sheer hoptitude masks it completely.  it also doesn't taste at all like it's 7.3% ABV.  tastes more like 5% ABV.  so basically it just tastes like a pliny clone.  I would not have expected this based on how lagery it tasted early on.

danger beer!

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

danger beer!

yeup!  I think a key to making danger beer is getting the beer to dry out.  a lot of the time high FG is what makes me taste more booze.  maybe just taste association.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

this beer is still great.  I do notice that getting the yeast out of this beer is key.  I think I just got the last yeast out of it the other day and I def noticed that pint tasted a little off but today it's super clean again.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

so I need to dry hop keg #2.

I was thinking of changing it up and using 3.5oz of motueka and 2oz of amarillo.  crazy talk?

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

So I did it. We'll see how it is!

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:46 AM

so I need to dry hop keg #2.

I was thinking of changing it up and using 3.5oz of motueka and 2oz of amarillo.  crazy talk?

I tried a little of this last night.  due to the extreme amount of hop matter in that first pint right now it tastes very NEIPA like.  juicy for sure.  it's much more tame than the typical pliny dry hop levels and hop types but I like it so far.  I'll have to report back after the hop sludge has been cleared out.

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

Interested in your take on taste; Motueka and Amarillo. Last time I used my Motueka I got a lot of lime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users