For 5 gallons:

15+ oz ginger
11 oz lemon juice
14 qrt (3.5 gal) water
3 cups pineapple juice
3 pounds honey (5 cups)
1 star anise
1 tbs allspice

Puree ginger root, crush spices, mix with pineapple and lemon juice, honey, and enough water to dissolve everything, heat to meld flavours (not over 100*F for honey sanctity. Strain into keg with remaining water, chill and force carb to like 30psi.

Hmm. To get Reed's claim of 17g ginger per bottle of Premium, I need 32 oz of ginger.

For Extra, I would need 49 oz (26g/bottle)
Also, I saw somewhere that it has 25% juice. I wonder if that is wt% or volume. Also, if it is based on just the pineapple or also the ginger.

Edited by gaia, 31 March 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#2 gaia

gaia

Primordial Being of the Earth

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

I just finished this up. I didn't buy Reed's to measure gravity, so I just went by what I liked in sweetness level. The hot, flat sample tastes really great. Very good ginger bite and flavour.

This is what I ended up doing:

32 oz ginger
11 oz lemon juice
4 gal water (a bit less, just enough to top to 5 gallons)
11.5 cups pineapple juice
3 pounds honey (1/4 gallon) (just a tad more for taste)
1 star anise
1 tbs allspice 

Oh, and I took the two pounds of chopped, peeled ginger and boiled it with half a gallon of water. Then I used my stick blender to pulverize. I then continued to simmer for about a half hour. When I added it to the keg, I strained the fibers out. 

I've had a couple glasses now. Wow. Reallly nice ginger kick. Very strong. The pineapple is secondary to the ginger heat and a good balance. I can't pick up too much honey, but I've been drinking beer before this. I definitely recommend this. I can tell honey is in there, its just not as strong as I prefer, as a mead maker. 

The higher carbed this is, the more ginger bite comes through. It might be better with less pineapple. 

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

so confused how you have 8 mil posts but I don't know who you are :P

i've made recipe.  moar ginger is moar betterer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users