#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

One of you cats made something like this, not sure who. It was brilliantly clear and I'm thinking about making something like that this weekend. IIRC, Columbus did the bittering???

Beuller? Beuller?

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

Found it

https://www.brews-br...696-light-beer/

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

Lol. That would be me home-skillet. There's 1/2 keg of the second batch of this on tap right now. My buddies and I kicked 1 keg during a backyard party, 1/2 of the second keg at a moving party. Even having craft beer fans in the mix nearly everyone (even me) went to this beer due to the weather being warm. 

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

How does the Columbus play in what I consider a pretty straight Pils thing going on?

I'm going to shoot for 1.050 and roughly the same bitters as you. 34/70 slurry ready to do the grunt work.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 16 May 2017 - 06:06 AM.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

How does the Columbus play in what I consider a pretty straight Pils thing going on?

It doesn't. Bitterness acceptable for the batch. No SO4 in this beer though. Only CaCl2 to 50ppm. Use RO water or you won't pull this off well. Bitterness was pretty much the same as macro lager.

Inspiration.

WDpjzD7.jpg

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

I'm nowhere near the Water Rabbit Hole, my water will be resting out the chlorine starting this evening until Sunday. Lactic acid will help with my ph. That's all I got.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

I'm going to shoot for 1.050 and roughly the same bitters as you. 34/70 slurry ready to do the grunt work.

1.050 will be a bit different beer but nice anyway. I wouldn't add amylase to 1.050, I'd let it ferment out and it'll stop somewhere ~1.008. I almost think I denatured my amylase on the batch that tasted so good. (Can't remember but I may have added it to boiling water when I mixed it up with yeast nutrient) I think it finished at 1.005.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

I'm nowhere near the Water Rabbit Hole, my water will be resting out the chlorine starting this evening until Sunday. Lactic acid will help with my ph. That's all I got.

Hope your minerals are low. This type of beer doesn't leave anything to hide behind. Campden would be a good insurance policy against chlorine/amines. A few gallons of distilled if minerals are high.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

Here's what's showing. How bad is it?

Water_zpsqnfmsh3s.jpg
It's calling for 3.85ml Lactic to the mash and .55ml to the sparge btw............

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

That 210ppm of sulfate could be an issue in this batch. Am I reading that right? If your source water has that much SO4, I would use some distilled. I have my "American Lager" on tap right now... 5%, 25 IBUs or so, pilsner malt, flaked corn, carahell, Magnum + nobles later in the boil, 2124. There is 27ppm of sulfate in it from my source water... otherwise I added ZERO sulfate to the beer in the form of gypsum.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

If that is 210 SO4, I'd use all RO with no SO4 and enough CaCl2 to 50ppm of Ca . If it's 21.0 I'd dilute to knock it down to 10.0 and add CaCl2 to get 50ppm of calcium.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 16 May 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

It's 21.0.
The Desired Water Profile is listing Sulfate at 105.0....

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 16 May 2017 - 06:38 AM.

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

It's 21.0, what would you use to dilute?

Distilled or RO. I build from RO due to iron laden well water, so making other sources work is a bit foreign to me.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

It's 21.0.
The Desired Water Profile is listing Sulfate at 105.0....

100 is too high for this beer IMHO. It would not do anything good for it. Really no reason to add much to this beer in the order of mineral additions at all. You would taste it and it would not taste good.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

By switching out half the water to Distilled, I brought it down to about 12.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

By switching out half the water to Distilled, I brought it down to about 12.

Everyone may attack this from different angles... 21ppm would work, IMO. I generally add 3g of CaCl to a beer like this. My chloride ends up around 65-70ppm, my Ca is around 60ppm and my sulfate stays at 27. I get a nice malty beer with some crispness in the finish and no harshness. 21 would work. 10 would work.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Understood

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Zero would also work but I don't know that I have ever made a beer with all distilled and added no sulfate. I consider Chils the authority in this section of the recipe book and my guess is that a beer made this way with ZERO sulfate would come out great. For me, I have been a critic of high sulfate in beers and I may be sensitive to it. But I also find that some underlying amount of it does something that I like in a style like this and also for something like a dark lager (say Dunkel) where that dark, maltiness is slightly offset with some crispness. Same thing here. It may also be that I add enough CaCl to the mash that the balance goes away from sulfate and very much towards chloride since the chloride is 3 times (ish) the sulfate.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

By using 4 gal's of Distilled added to 4.5 de-chlorinated tap water, I lowered the sulfates down to 14. One thing that also dropped was the calcium which by what I'm reading is perfect for a lager but can also create oxalate, something I've never encountered and without worry don't think I'm going to worry about now. Thoughts?

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

I like the Ca in that 50-60ppm range. It's supposed to provide nutrients for yeast health, promote clarity, etc. You can make that up with CaCl. Sulfate at 14 would work, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users