Photo
- - - - -

Who has experience with Rahr Premium Pilsner malt?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

One of my LHBS has been mixing up their grains where you can now walk in and buy a 5 or 10 pound prepackaged bag of grain.  I do like the idea because you don't have to wait around while someone weighs it and packages it.  Anyway, the day I went I needed pilsner and the options were Dingeman's (I bought a 10-lb bag) and Rahr Pilsner (I bought a 10-lb bag).  I'm making this American Premium tomorrow (hopefully) and I'm getting to the end of my Barke Pils.  I want to keep the Dingeman's for something where the pils malt needs to be good so I plan to make up the rest with Rahr.  I'm concerned that this Barke Pils has me spoiled now because I haven't used any other pilsner malt since I started using it.  For the beer tomorrow, I need about 6 lbs of pilsner and it'll probably be 50% Barke and 50% Rahr.  Any experience with the Rahr?  Is it good?

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:29 AM

I've used hundreds of lbs of Rahr pils. Its good stuff. Made the best light lager I've ever had (commercial or homebrew) using a grist of it, acid malt, and S189 so it can stand on its on.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Thanks Chils. While I was measuring it out yesterday I chewed on a few kernels and I thought it was pretty flavorful... a little honey, some of that graham craker & grape nuts, etc. I'm a fan of regular Rahr 2-row when it applies and I like Rahr Pale Ale malt. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users