#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Got a starter of 1450 going.  Planning on my house APA tomorrow with a slight change in hops.  Plan to just go with Citra,Mosaic and Simcoe.

bittering with?

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

bittering with?

Chinook .5oz at 30.

Chinook .5oz at 30.

Oh I lied .. it also has some Chinook at 5 with Citra

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

Chinook .5oz at 30.

Oh I lied .. it also has some Chinook at 5 with Citra

sounds good.  def need to go back to 1450 for some upcoming ales in the fall.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

:crazy:  :wacko: made my 2124 starter yesterday, I'm committed

Edited by miccullen, 27 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

Okay, you talked me into it. I just put together another American Amber Ale similar to the one that just went down but I'm going to use up some single ounce packs of hops that have been hanging around. Pale Ale Malt, some British Crystal, Special B and Midnight Wheat, bittered with Nugget and then in the last 15 minutes an ounce of Willamette, an ounce of Mt. Hood, an ounce of Glacier and an ounce of Crystal. 50 IBUs. 1056. Boom. Wednesday morning (or afternoon) brewday... then go to work. :D

Made my "German Country Lager" yesterday morning and making this AAA today. Back-to-back brewdays, FTW.

#26 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Put together my recipe for the Hefe last night.  Decided I should see how much wheat I had... 7 pounds.  Going to go ahead and try a 50% wheat.  There is a possibility I've done it this way once before.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

Put together my recipe for the Hefe last night.  Decided I should see how much wheat I had... 7 pounds.  Going to go ahead and try a 50% wheat.  There is a possibility I've done it this way once before.

A 50/50 grist of 2-row and wheat is ordinarily not an issue. I do it for pale ales on my system all the time and the runoff is just fine. YMMV but I say go for it.

#28 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Wednesday's brewday was smooth, and my latest clone of Hofbrau Original is fermenting away nicely.  Used 2 fresh packets of 34/70 for this batch, and boy am I glad i did. 

Checked the primary yesterday morning, and a krausen was already forming. 

I've posted about recent prior batches where the 34/70 slurry I used took a lot longer than normal to get started, so I wasn't about to take any chances with this batch.

I think the resulting yeast cake will become my new house culture for 34/70.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

A 50/50 grist of 2-row and wheat is ordinarily not an issue. I do it for pale ales on my system all the time and the runoff is just fine. YMMV but I say go for it.

I recently made a pale/wheat beer like this.  runoff seemed pretty much the same as my all barley batches of beer.  not sure why I ever bought those rice hulls :scratch:

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Wednesday's brewday was smooth, and my latest clone of Hofbrau Original is fermenting away nicely.  Used 2 fresh packets of 34/70 for this batch, and boy am I glad i did. 

Checked the primary yesterday morning, and a krausen was already forming. 

I've posted about recent prior batches where the 34/70 slurry I used took a lot longer than normal to get started, so I wasn't about to take any chances with this batch.

I think the resulting yeast cake will become my new house culture for 34/70.

Did I miss the recipe for this? Hofbrau Original has been the inspiration for many batches of helles here. I'm not saying that my helles is Hofbrau's helles but when you can get a fresh bottle of it or have some of it at one of the local Hofbrauhaus locations (I have one about 20 minutes from my house) or even in Munich... such a simple but delicious beer. What was the recipe other than the 34/70?

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Did I miss the recipe for this? Hofbrau Original has been the inspiration for many batches of helles here. I'm not saying that my helles is Hofbrau's helles but when you can get a fresh bottle of it or have some of it at one of the local Hofbrauhaus locations (I have one about 20 minutes from my house) or even in Munich... such a simple but delicious beer. What was the recipe other than the 34/70?

is HB yeast 2124 and/or 34/70?

#32 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

I'll post it in the Recipe Swap.

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

I recently made a pale/wheat beer like this.  runoff seemed pretty much the same as my all barley batches of beer.  not sure why I ever bought those rice hulls :scratch:

I don't have the rice hulls... at least I think I don't.  Frankly, I'll have to check my supplies.  If I do, I will.  If I don't, oh well.

I just don't recall ever doing 50/50 before.  

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

I don't have the rice hulls... at least I think I don't.  Frankly, I'll have to check my supplies.  If I do, I will.  If I don't, oh well.

I just don't recall ever doing 50/50 before.  

you use a grainfather right?  you might want to google around a bit and see if anyone has had any issues with that system with lots of wheat.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

I'm going to put this here.

I made this AAA today and it's chilling at the moment. I bittered with Nugget and then used Willamette, Mt. Hood, Glacier and Crystal in the last 15 minutes. I'm considering dry-hopping it too but I don't want to turn it fruity with something like Amarillo or Citra. I'm considering dropping an ounce of Mt. Hood and an ounce of Northern Brewer in there for 5 days. Any thoughts on that? I'm terrible at choosing DH varieties because I don't DH much. I also have some Simcoe and also Nelson but Nelson is going to push the character in a new direction, methinks. Cheers.

#36 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Were it me, I'd stick with Mr. Hood, and maybe some NB, but leave it at that. 

No Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, or NS, as I think they'd push the aroma too far towards the fuit character you're looking to avoid.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

Were it me, I'd stick with Mr. Hood, and maybe some NB, but leave it at that. 

No Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, or NS, as I think they'd push the aroma too far towards the fuit character you're looking to avoid.

I'm thinking along those lines but I can't remember ever DHing with either of those hops. Also, Simcoe is not fruity... it's more piney. So maybe that would be an option. I have 10 days or so to come up with a plan on that.

#38 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

This might be heresy to some, but I despise Simcoe hops. 

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

I won't fault you for it... if you don't like it then you don't like it. I have issues with Chinook, Mosaic and a host of others so it is what it is.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Bit your tongue!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users