#1 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I love Bavarian helles and the "W" is one of my favorites.   Hard to find a fresh bottle around here, unfortunately.    So why not brew your own??

I brewed this up a couple of months ago, tapped the keg last night, and, oh damn, it's good.

Pils   7.25 lb

Pale  3 lb

Carahell  0.75 lb

Sauer  0.25 lb

8 gal RO water w/ 6 gr CaCl

Full volume mash w/ rests @

133 for 15 min

146 for 45 min

162 for 45 min

172 for 10 min

Hallertauer Mittelfruh  20.5 IBU (60 min addition)

chilled to 48, oxygenated and pitched

Wyeast 2206

Fermented at 48 for 21 days,   added 7 gr DME boiled in 2 cups water to fermenter and kegged.

PS-   I did LoDo as well w/ yeast deoxygenation method for strike water and 3 gr of "trifecta mix" in mash (sodium metabisulfite, Brewtan B, and ascorbic acid)

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Looks damn tasty to me. Would drink. Cheers.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

My trusty Wyeast poster says that 2124 is the Weihenstephan yeast. Is that inaccurate or do you prefer the 2206 better for this style? I use 2124 often and the last one fermented with Omega Bayern (supposedly Augustiner's yeast). I love a good helles too and I have made one with a combination of barke pils and pale ale malt. Which pale malt did you use here? I also hear you on getting fresh bottles from Europe... not always possible. Cheers.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

PS-   I did LoDo as well w/ yeast deoxygenation method for strike water and 3 gr of "trifecta mix" in mash (sodium metabisulfite, Brewtan B, and ascorbic acid)

this sounds like the brewing equivalent to the "coexist" bumper sticker :lol:

#5 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

this sounds like the brewing equivalent to the "coexist" bumper sticker :lol:

Ha!   I like that.    Yeah, I'm all about peace, love, and understanding.  Especially when it comes to brewing beer.        :cheers:

#6 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

My trusty Wyeast poster says that 2124 is the Weihenstephan yeast. Is that inaccurate or do you prefer the 2206 better for this style? I use 2124 often and the last one fermented with Omega Bayern (supposedly Augustiner's yeast). I love a good helles too and I have made one with a combination of barke pils and pale ale malt. Which pale malt did you use here? I also hear you on getting fresh bottles from Europe... not always possible. Cheers.

I'm more of a "find a yeast you like and use the hell out of it" sort of brewer.    I think, for pale lagers especially, it's more about how well the yeast is working for you rather than the distinct strain.   I'm very happy with my beers done with 2206, so I'm sticking with it and spend more effort tweaking grain bills (no more carapils in helles, ever   :) ) and mash schedules.

I used all Weyermann for this beer and just the regular pils, not Barke.     Cheers!      

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Having an augustiner helles right now. Straight from Germany and really great.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

That yeast tho. So good.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

So Omega Bayern is augustiner?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

I think it's all based on information from Omega and Wyeast. Wyeast released a yeast called 2352 Munich Lager 2 and it was a temporary release. I used it and it was great. Their description was that it was from Munich's oldest brewery which has been determined to be Augustiner. Then Omega released a yeast called Bayern Lager and also said that it was from Munich's oldest brewery and I am using that yeast right now and it's very much the same yeast I remember using last year as Wyeast 2352. I have made a pilsner with it, an "American Lager", a Vienna, a Helles and Festbier is next and then it will be retired. Really nice yeast.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

well I may have to try that omega yeast out next time I go into lager mode.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

well I may have to try that omega yeast out next time I go into lager mode.

You will really like it. It seems to be in the zip code of 2124 but with a little extra something. I just kegged my helles made with this yeast and I still have some yeast on my hands from cleaning the primary and it's lovely. I have the pilsner on tap now and I have sampled the American Lager and the Vienna. This is a very versatile yeast and I feel like it could be used for just about any style. The one beer I did not make with it was a Dunkel. This Festbier (hopefully brewed this week) will be run #5 with this yeast and I could use it for the Dunkel next but I also have 2308 up and running as well. Decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users