22 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53916 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

I'll keep that in mind. Anytime I travel I look for the local craft beer which can be really fun. It can also be less than fun depending on what you find. :D I have been places where I ask "do you have any local craft beer?" and someone will say something about a blonde ale and they bring the bottle and the label will say "kolsch-style ale" or something. I always think, "YUM, local kolsch!?". Then I try it and it's an abomination. The part about "Oktoberfest" and "Festbier" also blurs the line on that style because it could be more "Marzen" or more "Export Helles" and either way, the "Oktoberfest" style really has a broad range. Hofbrau Oktoberfest is very pale, crisp and dry. Others can be dark, super malty and less crisp. What I do know is that I prefer mine to be simple. It doesn't need Aromatic or Crystal or Melanoidin or CaraMunich, etc. It should be malty but the finish should be dry. You could say the same about a good dunkel, Vienna or helles.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

I'll keep that in mind. Anytime I travel I look for the local craft beer which can be really fun. It can also be less than fun depending on what you find. :D I have been places where I ask "do you have any local craft beer?" and someone will say something about a blonde ale and they bring the bottle and the label will say "kolsch-style ale" or something. I always think, "YUM, local kolsch!?". Then I try it and it's an abomination. The part about "Oktoberfest" and "Festbier" also blurs the line on that style because it could be more "Marzen" or more "Export Helles" and either way, the "Oktoberfest" style really has a broad range. Hofbrau Oktoberfest is very pale, crisp and dry. Others can be dark, super malty and less crisp. What I do know is that I prefer mine to be simple. It doesn't need Aromatic or Crystal or Melanoidin or CaraMunich, etc. It should be malty but the finish should be dry. You could say the same about a good dunkel, Vienna or helles.

there are lots of bad breweries out there for sure.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

I'm also down with the 12 I bought of SN's Octoberfest. Great tasting beer. Has a very unique flavor I guess from the hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users