#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

Am I crazy to attempt making 2 10 gallon batches in one day?

Only major technical issue is heating strike water for batch two since my kettle serves double duty as hlt and bk. I might be able to heat enough water in my 5 gallon kettle to boiling and mix this with room temp water to get there.

Edited by pickle_rick, 26 September 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Wait?  I thought you brewed 10 at at time.  So would this be a 20g brewday?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

See edit. Sorry.
I could also preheat some water and put it in brew buckets if I needed to. How hot can I go for those?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Do you have any spare coolers?  Maybe heat some water and store it in there?  What about taking the water from chilling and storing that for batch 2?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Do you have any spare coolers? Maybe heat some water and store it in there? What about taking the water from chilling and storing that for batch 2?

I do! Good idea. I was hoping to start mashing during the boil.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

I have nothing to add except... It must be done. :D

I have done two 5-gallon batches in one day (usually when I have the house to myself) and I just plan it out. The kettle I use to heat strike water is different (smaller) than my brew kettle so I just piggy back things. It's typically pretty grueling and something I've only done 2-3 times.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Drive down to Mass and I will give you a 15g pot to use!

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Go for it. The only argument against it is how fast the finished product might be consumed. Unless I was brewing for an event or social get together it would be a good long while before that fourth 5 gallon keg is tapped.

ETA: You could naturally condition the kegs that might sit a while in an effort to prolong their shelf life.

Edited by neddles, 26 September 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Go for it. The only argument against it is how fast the finished product might be consumed. Unless I was brewing for an event or social get together it would be a good long while before that fourth 5 gallon keg is tapped.

Same for me but that does not seem to stop me from brewing multiple 5g batches. :)

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

I figure I'll crank out 30 gal with this yeast and call it a day for a while.  probably won't brew again until x-mas.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

If there is a will there is a way. I have done a few double 10gal batch brew days. Have also done 3 5gal batch brew days. It's a lot of work and the logistics can be tough but a good use of a day.

#12 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

I do this often since I've found it typically only adds about 2 hours to a brew day.  If I'm already putting in roughly 6 hours, what's 2 more?  However, I will add that this is a much easier and funner day when you have some help from a co-brewer.  The key is keep moving.  If you're sitting around waiting for something to boil or sparge or whatever ask yourself what you could be doing to stay on task.  I find my bucket heater on a timer helps me start the brew day immediately with hot water.  Keep "sensory evaluation" to a minimum.  It's great to commit a day and end up with 2 batches of beer.

Want to have some real fun?  Make two 10 gallon partigyle beers.  Now THAT's an adventure and does require some extra equipment.

Edited by TAPPER, 27 September 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#13 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

I've done it but it kicks my ass. The following day is usually "brought to you by Tylenol"

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

I have nothing to add except... It must be done. :D

I have done two 5-gallon batches in one day (usually when I have the house to myself) and I just plan it out. The kettle I use to heat strike water is different (smaller) than my brew kettle so I just piggy back things. It's typically pretty grueling and something I've only done 2-3 times.

What is this? I haven't had the house to myself in 17 years.

#15 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14104 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Double batch is pretty much all I do these days. Can be 5, 10, or 15 gallon batches. Typical is 10 and 10 or 10 and 5. I have numerous pots and burners so there is lots of overlap in the day. I'd say 7-8 hrs is what it takes me. Good clear notes/paperwork going in is key, along with a couple timers so as to not screw things up. I've done two triple brew days, only when deadlines absolutely dictate. Both of those were long ass days.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

What is this? I haven't had the house to myself in 17 years.

The issue is that I use the kitchen and the garage. It's pretty much "kitchen for 90 minutes", "garage for 45 minutes" and then "kitchen again for another 45 minutes" and if someone wants to cook or eat or whatever... I'm in the way. Any time my wife visits girlfriends in another city, I think "Hey... serious brewing can commence". :D

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

Sounds like a good strategy and one that has obviously worked for many a year.

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

The issue is that I use the kitchen and the garage. It's pretty much "kitchen for 90 minutes", "garage for 45 minutes" and then "kitchen again for another 45 minutes" and if someone wants to cook or eat or whatever... I'm in the way. Any time my wife visits girlfriends in another city, I think "Hey... serious brewing can commence". :D

I'm in a similar-ish boat, except that in my case, it's brewing on the weekends that gets me a heap of complaining from my better half.

So, my brew days on are on weekdays, while she's at work. 

Less hassle (for me at least) that way.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

I'm soaking my cube cooler in oxiclean right now so I can use it to store hot water for this.  I just worked out my two recipes in my spreadsheets so that is ready.  The kegs are clean and sanitized for the batch of stout that I'll be harvesting yeast from.  Next up will be to measure my grains and water (for the first batch, second batch water will have to be measured after I start mashing the first).  Before the brew day I'm planning to keg the stout so I can have the yeast ready to go and the fermenter clean and ready to accept beer.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

Do you have any spare coolers?  Maybe heat some water and store it in there?  What about taking the water from chilling and storing that for batch 2?

so this worked pretty much perfect.  while mashing the first batch I heated up as much water as i could fit in my cube cooler to about 140-150F.  After this I drained my first batch into the now empty kettle and then put the remainder of my 2nd batch strike water in my 5 gal kettle and brought this up to a boil.  mixed them together in the mash tun when the first batch was done draining and I was pretty close to where I needed the strike water to be.  :cheers:

Edited by pickle_rick, 06 October 2017 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users