#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

I've been electric brewing 10 years now but my new brewery will be in the basement of my barn which has NG plumbed in.  I like the ease of control with electric but having NG right there might make it worthwhile to make it an NG system.  I've never brewed with NG, any thoughts on an NG brew system?

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

NG doesn't burn as hot as propane so that could be a deciding factor that electric is the way to go. If you plan on staying in the house for awhile then I would invest in electric. If you decide on NG I highly reccememond figuring out a way to remove CO from your brewing area and definitely have a CO detector. 

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Batch size? Access to 240v?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I like electric if you have 240v.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

There's 240 out there.  I haven't mapped exactly where it's running but it wouldn't be hard to pull it to where I'll be brewing either way.

10-15g batch size.

Edited by JKor, 03 October 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Electric, no question.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

It's kind of a weird set-up.  It's "basement" of the barn in the sense that it's below grade, but there's a path around the side that drops below grade to access it from the outside via a sliding barn door.  So it's a lot like a ~40x40 garage.  The hot water heater is down there and there's hydronic space heater that runs off the water heater to keep the pipes from freezing.  So it has NG, 240V, heated and plumbed and access via garage door.  Pretty much perfect.  Aside from the fact that it prolly costs a fortune to heat due to the size and poor sealing.  The barn floor above isn't sealed at all so any heat can just escape 'upstairs' between the floor boards.  I may seal it up and insulate to make it a *little* more palatable to keep heated.  I think the big issue is going to be that it probably takes on water occasionally because it's in such a low lying spot.  There's a sewer drain just outside the door but it was completely underwater when i saw the house last April.  The barn was dry but it wouldn't have taken a lot more rain to get it wet. (there was a ton of rain in April so it wasn't surprising that it was wet there)

Edited by JKor, 03 October 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Is money an object?

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

Is money an object?

Yes, but I'm willing to hear out options.  :)

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Of I could have anything if would be an electric, jacketed steam or hot water kettle.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

My plan has been to use electric, but not an internal coil.  I have a design in mind that will use four 1500W electric oven range elements (those are the smaller 6" range elements on a standard electric range).  Essentially the 25gal pot will be sitting on 6000W of electric heating.  The pot will be direct stirred which will distribute heat during temp steps, but also create whirlpool action during the chilling.  Again,  my *plan* is to have a custom stainless coil made up that fits just inside the inner diameter of the pot.  The coil will act as a chilling coil but also as a fermentation temperature control coil.  The question is how will I adjust the temp on the resevoir that feeds the coil.  I have some ideas on setting up a TEC system but that may be a little further down the road.  i just want to brew up some beer!

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

With something that complicated, I think I'd just bite the bullet and buy one of the new turnkey operations. Unless building the thing is part of the fun for you.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

My plan has been to use electric, but not an internal coil.  I have a design in mind that will use four 1500W electric oven range elements (those are the smaller 6" range elements on a standard electric range).  Essentially the 25gal pot will be sitting on 6000W of electric heating.  The pot will be direct stirred which will distribute heat during temp steps, but also create whirlpool action during the chilling.  Again,  my *plan* is to have a custom stainless coil made up that fits just inside the inner diameter of the pot.  The coil will act as a chilling coil but also as a fermentation temperature control coil.  The question is how will I adjust the temp on the resevoir that feeds the coil.  I have some ideas on setting up a TEC system but that may be a little further down the road.  i just want to brew up some beer!

That sounds like an inefficient way to scorch wort.  A big electric kettle or jacketed would be better - just guessing.  What is the problem with an internal element?

And does your 240 feed have enough amps to handle what you want?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

That sounds like an inefficient way to scorch wort. A big electric kettle or jacketed would be better - just guessing. What is the problem with an internal element?

He can just use his generator

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

He can just use his generator

:lol:

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

With something that complicated, I think I'd just bite the bullet and buy one of the new turnkey operations. Unless building the thing is part of the fun for you.

Yuck. I spent a third of the cost of those turnkey rigs. I realize DIY isn't for everyone but that kind of money should motivate folks to at least give a try. Especially when all the "how too"s" are free on the googles. But then again people now days dont have time to put brain power first since its so easy to click a button.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

That sounds like an inefficient way to scorch wort. A big electric kettle or jacketed would be better - just guessing. What is the problem with an internal element?

I'm not following your logic there.

Yuck. I spent a third of the cost of those turnkey rigs. I realize DIY isn't for everyone but that kind of money should motivate folks to at least give a try. Especially when all the "how too"s" are free on the googles. But then again people now days dont have time to put brain power first since its so easy to click a button.

I don't follow how-tos, I create how-tos. ;)

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

I created my processes as well using others input. But if you create your own how to's, what is the point of the thread? 

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:11 AM

Of course i'll solicit input. That's not the same as following a how to.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:04 AM

Sitting on elements doesn't transfer heat as well as submersed elements.  Also the point of contact is smaller and I think it would be easier to scorch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users