#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

I may have asked this before but what is the best practice for leaving a beer line empty for a week or so?  should I leave oxiclean in it?  water?  I want to let both of these kegs kick and do a thorough cleaning of the tap lines at the same time.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

Beer, water, StarSan should work if you plan to do a good cleaning.  Or even just as is if refrigerated.........  That would be my last option.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Beer, water, StarSan should work if you plan to do a good cleaning. Or even just as is if refrigerated......... That would be my last option.

I'll do some hot water then.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'll do some hot water then.

If you can add a dash of StarSan, that would help ensure no crud builds up in the meantime.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53863 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

I've noticed that soft plastic (like siphon tubing, some beer line, etc) start to get soft, sticky and funky when exposed to Starsan for too long. Not sure if it starts to break down or what. It seems like once it's out of the Starsan for a bit it goes back to the way it was. I have these newish beer lines that are hard plastic and I probably need to run some hot Oxi solution and then Starsan through them at some point.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

Unsophisticated Cobra tap guy here. If a keg kicks, I usually leave it in the keezer until I have time to clean it. Same with the beer line. Beer lines get disassembled and soaked in hot oxyclean and thoroughly rinsed. Upon reuse, they're given a quick soak in Starsan. Very caveman like here.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53863 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

Unsophisticated Cobra tap guy here. If a keg kicks, I usually leave it in the keezer until I have time to clean it. Same with the beer line. Beer lines get disassembled and soaked in hot oxyclean and thoroughly rinsed. Upon reuse, they're given a quick soak in Starsan. Very caveman like here.

I always said you were an unsophisticated caveman. :D But you're OUR unsophisticated caveman. :lol:

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

I always said you were an unsophisticated caveman. :D But you're OUR unsophisticated caveman. :lol:

Aw shucks [blushes]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users