#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

Stick with what works for you. I know next to nothing about the RA spreadsheet, does it allow you to track the other dissolved ions in the water? IOW is it anything more than just a predictor of pH?

I switched to bru'n water.  I think it's better.

just quickly looking back one thing that palmer's spreadsheet misses is the diff between base, roasted and crystal malt and how they affect mash pH.  color alone doesn't capture it.

Edited by pickle_rick, 17 October 2017 - 04:22 AM.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

I switched to bru'n water.  I think it's better.

and it is simple to use IME.

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

What's the consensus on that Bru'n Water program vs using RA via Palmer's spreadsheet?  I read the critique of RA on Bru'n Water's page, and it seems that while that might be correct, that it's trying to account for the rare corner cases.  (Who's going to use all 150L crystal to get to 20 SRM?)  I have extremely difficult water, and I've had nothing but success with RA - including hitting pH on tests.  What's Bru'n Water going to do for me?

FWIW, here's my water:

Calcium (ppm) 87
Magnesium (ppm) 27
Alkalinity as CaCO3 330
Sulfate (ppm) 19
Chloride (ppm) 122
Sodium (ppm) 77
Water pH 7.2

If what you do now works, it works.  I find Bru'nwater to be more accurate in terms of the results I get.

#24 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

I ordered the PH Meter from the website.  I got a call from Omega today saying that it will take 5-6 weeks to get back in stock.   :unsure:

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

I ordered the PH Meter from the website. I got a call from Omega today saying that it will take 5-6 weeks to get back in stock. :unsure:

That sucks for sure but I think it is worth the wait. I find it a great meter. I am curious how this one would be though http://www.thermowor...-pH-Meter-8689.

#26 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

That sucks for sure but I think it is worth the wait. I find it a great meter. I am curious how this one would be though http://www.thermowor...-pH-Meter-8689.

Page not found.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Page not found.

That is what I get for trying post links from my phone.

http://www.thermowor...y-pH-Meter-8689

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

On one hand Thermoworks makes some great stuff. I have TWO of their Thermapens (one was a gift and is now a backup) so I think it's possible that their pH meter might be good. That said, I really, really like (and trust) this Omega meter. Maybe I like it so much because compared to the Milwaukee PH55 that I had was a complete waste of time and money. This Omega meter rarely needs to be calibrated and when it does it calibrates very quickly and accurately. I had so many head-scratching experiences with the Milwaukee but the sun came out and the angels sang when I got the Omega.

I have always preferred to trust my instruments... thermometers and pH meters are important and it's good that you're not guessing or questioning. A good meter makes you understand what's happening so that you're more comfortable and confident in what you're doing. I'm rarely "checking to see what my pH is" anymore... it's more of a verification that my pH is where I think it is... but that only came from the confidence and understanding I got from the meter in the first place. I would say it's worth the wait.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

I agree Ken, the Omega is a really nice pH meter and has been better for me than the MW102 I also have.

#30 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

Hey Ken - got this from Ward Labs on our water.

Ph - 7.9

Ca - 42
Mg - 13
Na - 10
Cl - 14
SO4 - 10
BiCarb - 144

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hey Ken - got this from Ward Labs on our water.

Ph - 7.9

Ca - 42
Mg - 13
Na - 10
Cl - 14
SO4 - 10
BiCarb - 144

Mark: I got your email... thanks for the alert.

These numbers are close which is what I would expect. The sulfate is expressed as SO4-S (10) which means we want to multiply that by three so the sulfate is 30. The chloride number that I got last time was 21 and is now 14 which is a decent drop. Our sulfate is twice that of the chloride. It used to be 27/21 and now it's 30/14. The bicarb was 138 and the calcium was 34. The Ca going up is good. The bicarb going up is not necessarily good or bad... it's a small bump and it's manageable. The last test I had showed the pH at 6.6 so that's quite a jump too. Thanks for posting those... very helpful. Did you run that test water through a filter first?

On the styles of beer you like (IPA, Belgians, Stouts), we'll get some other brewers who make those styles to post some of their water numbers. Belgians being "Belgian", I assume that all of those various Belgian styles have their own water profiles, right? A Belgian Pale Ale may not be the same as a Dubbel which may not be the same as a Saison, a Quad or a BGS. There are plenty of IPA and Stout guys here to give direction on that. We should still get together and tip a few... IT'S FOR RESEARCH! :D Cheers.

#32 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, now I need the kick ass water profile for the killer IPA.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

Something to remember is that there are all these ways to do things. You can create hoppy heaven with (obviously) more hops and you can up the sulfates too. But you also need to be careful of your malt backbone as you up the hops or the beer will taste like hop tea. That can be done with more chloride in the water, a higher mash temp, some amount of Munich or Vienna in the grist and even a lower-attenuating yeast. There are a lot of moving parts and multiple good approaches.

Any of you guys with good water composition direction on IPA, stout or Belgians (of various styles)... please post what you have done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users