#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I used a Ken recipe for my first all grain so I figured I might as well use another Ken the lager king recipe for my first lager. Going with this latest recipe post. It looks great and I have everything to do it besides the Hallertau Mittelfruh. I should be able to pick this up from my LHBS, but if not what could I sub it for? I am also going to be using 34/70 for the yeast. Will 2 packs be enough for 10gal? I'm looking for some tips, esp. fermenting temps and schedule and yeast pitching? I haven't followed to close to the fast lager info as I wasn't really interested at the time. So if anyone has any words of wisdom, and I'm looking right at you Ken, lay it on me.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

I used a Ken recipe for my first all grain so I figured I might as well use another Ken the lager king recipe for my first lager. Going with this latest recipe post. It looks great and I have everything to do it besides the Hallertau Mittelfruh. I should be able to pick this up from my LHBS, but if not what could I sub it for? I am also going to be using 34/70 for the yeast. Will 2 packs be enough for 10gal? I'm looking for some tips, esp. fermenting temps and schedule and yeast pitching? I haven't followed to close to the fast lager info as I wasn't really interested at the time. So if anyone has any words of wisdom, and I'm looking right at you Ken, lay it on me.

1oz of hops isn't much.  I bet you could replace that with a lot of things and not really notice much difference in this beer.  what options do you have?

I think if you aren't making a starter you'd probably want to go with 3-4 packs of yeast but that's just what I hear.  I've only used 34/70 one time and the packs were old so I used 4 of them.

for ferm temps I like to start cool (low 50s) and ramp up after 2-3 days until I'm in the mid to upper 60s.  I tend to ramp however fast I need to keep that airlock chugging along.  I have heard with this yeast you could ferment in the 60s and it still tastes great but I've never tried it.  either way once you've hit your final gravity + a day or so you are likely good to crash it as cold as you can (without freezing of course!).  with this method you can have really good lager in 2-3 weeks when you include conditioning/carbonating.

Edited by pickle_rick, 18 October 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

I used 2 packs for a 6g batch so I would go at least 3.

As for hops, I would think any German Nobel will do. I bet the lhbs will have some Hallertau version (tradition, herbsucker, or mittlefruh) to pick from.

Morty has the fermentation covered.

Good luck, it really is easy and lagers are a nice change.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Lol. I am making that recipe right now with the Bayern Lager yeast. I have used 1 pack of 34/70 dry (no rehydration) in 5.5g of 1.046 pilsner and the resulting beer is stellar. I am drinking it as I type. Not much else to add that hasn't been covered.  

#5 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Alright I think I will grab another pack of yeast and see what kind of hops I can get. My LHBS kinda sucks for hop selection but I am sure I can get something German noble. I agree Drez, this will be a nice change!

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

Alright I think I will grab another pack of yeast and see what kind of hops I can get. My LHBS kinda sucks for hop selection but I am sure I can get something German noble. I agree Drez, this will be a nice change!

Don't be afraid of Sterling, Santiam, Crystal, Ultra or Mt Hood

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:01 AM

Don't be afraid of Sterling, Santiam, Crystal, Ultra or Mt Hood

All great choices. I just picked up a pound of Sterling and am excited to use it in a Pilsner at first bat.

Matt, you are going to love this beer. I think we've all loosely based our VL off Jamil using our own canvas. Good luck.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:02 AM

All great choices. I just picked up a pound of Sterling and am excited to use it in a Pilsner at first bat.

Matt, you are going to love this beer. I think we've all loosely based our VL off Jamil using our own canvas. Good luck.

I also have some sterling that I will be using shortly.  Neddles had a Sterling Pils in the photo thread that looked divine.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

I also have some sterling that I will be using shortly.  Neddles had a Sterling Pils in the photo thread that looked divine.

That's been my go-to beer for several weeks. I lifted the keg last night and it is disappointingly light.  :(

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

All I've read is that Sterling is like a super Saaz so it's fitting I hit a Pils out of the gate with it. The AA on my bag is 11% tho. I'm inclined to use all of it late and in abundance.

#11 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'm also brewing this beer this weekend and it's also my 1st lager, at least my 1st since starting to brew again. I haven't purchased my ingredients yet but I was planning on going with S-189 yeast. I'll have to control fermentation temps the old school way, however...carboy in a cooler with ice packs. I'm very anxious to get this one going!

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

I found this article pretty interesting and the first time I did a VL I used both yeasts split from 10 gallons. Both were awesome

http://brulosophy.co...riment-results/

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Can't wait to hear how all these Vienna Lager recipes come out.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Brewday is postponed. I had a long day yesterday and didn't do my usual prep for today. And just wasn't feeling getting up and starting with no prep. Partly due to no sleep last night because some drunk chick started pounding on my door at 2am for about 5 minutes calling me Jerry and demanding I let her in. Then which I assume was naked Jerry was running around the neighborhood with another clothed man chasing him. Good times.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

Was she hot?

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

I couldn't tell. It was dark and at my side door where no window.

#17 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

No sparged this today, gravity ended up a bit low at 1.051. The wort is darker than I expected so hopefully the lhbs didn't mess up my grain order. Pitched a rehydrated pack of S-189 and am waiting for activity. The fermenter is in a cooler of water in the mid 50s.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

I'm going to try to make this recipe again this week (Friday evening if possible) with some S-189. Then I think I'm moving onto some ales... Omega West Coast and 1469.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'm going to make my version again on Sunday.  Trying to decide with the Tale of Two Slurries; 34/70 or WY2000 Budvar.

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

I'm finally getting around to making this lager. But my inventory was off for Munich and I was 3.5lb short. So this is what I ended up for a grain bill, I panicked.

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 51.5    11.00 lbs. Vienna Malt                   Germany        1.037      4
 28.1     6.00 lbs. Pilsener                      UK             1.036      2
 14.1     3.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light)            USA            1.033     10
  4.7     1.00 lbs. Pale Malt (Maris Otter)       UK             1.038      4
  1.6     0.34 lbs. Carafa Special III            Germany        1.030    525

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users