#21 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in HighTest's recipe and it sounds good to me, too. Is there a way to add a poll this thread?

I was thinking we'd let this thread ride for the rest of the day to collect any more ideas and then post a seperate poll for which recipe and start dates.

#22 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I was going to post the recipe (it's in a Word file), but right now we're not allowed to add atttachments, and I'd like to keep it in that form. However, I'm lobbying to see if that might change... :)

#23 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

I was going to post the recipe (it's in a Word file), but right now we're not allowed to add atttachments, and I'd like to keep it in that form. However, I'm lobbying to see if that might change... :)

Would a copy and paste into code format keep it in acceptable form for you ... I'm interested (as many others) in seeing this recipe.

#24 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Mike, you can PDF it and hyperlink from your webpage.

Yes, I think that may be the best choice for now... Blue Braggot Recipe

Edited by Hightest, 30 March 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#25 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

I like that. As a novice, this looks slightly intimidating and exciting all at the same time.

#26 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I'm sitting on some honey right now, too, so I'd be quite happy with a braggot or mel.

#27 Brewer Pete

Brewer Pete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

Would love to join in but my seasons are reversed came off of a hot summer with a few 44c stinkers (105f and higher). But can just lag and benefit from the posted updates. Planning ahead I can prepare the fruit trees for harvesting (nectarines, apricot, crab/red/granny apples, figs, grapes, kiwi, plum - but think it's an ornamental, and peach though the heat this year led to apricot sized fruit, cherry though poor fruiting 3 splice to common stock). Can source most dried spice locally except maybe whole vanilla bean which can be mail ordered. Looks like lots of spraying is going to be on the schedule.Won't get my TCMM book until April 24, or later accordng to amazon though :)

#28 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

Yes, I think that may be the best choice for now... Blue Braggot Recipe

Sounds good, three questions: in your third paragraph are you using two seperate primaries? and are you calling for both packets of 71B at the beginning?, and is there a way to convert this to an all grain mash? never made anything like this before.

#29 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

Sounds good, three questions: in your third paragraph are you using two seperate primaries? and are you calling for both packets of 71B at the beginning?, and is there a way to convert this to an all grain mash? never made anything like this before.

No, only one primary is being used.The general process is to steep the grains, then add to the primary; dissolve the DME, then add half to the same primary; then dissolve the honey into the remaining DME solution, and add that to the primary - mix well.Yes, both packets of 71B are used.Yes, there is a way to convert this to an AG recipe - but time is tight now (and for the next 7 days). The specialty grains would remain the same. All that needs to be done is determine what gravity contribution 5# of DME makes to 5½ gallons and then increase that by your mash efficiency. Homework for someone... :)

#30 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

No, only one primary is being used.The general process is to steep the grains, then add to the primary; dissolve the DME, then add half to the same primary; then dissolve the honey into the remaining DME solution, and add that to the primary - mix well.Yes, both packets of 71B are used.Yes, there is a way to convert this to an AG recipe - but time is tight now (and for the next 7 days). The specialty grains would remain the same. All that needs to be done is determine what gravity contribution 5# of DME makes to 5½ gallons and then increase that by your mash efficiency. Homework for someone... :)

thanks, i'd like to do this. will try to get the conversion, only because i have a lot of grain on hand to use.

#31 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

I'm in, and would vote Blueberry.

#32 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Poll created and pinned!

#33 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28293 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'd really love to do a group brew, and I've had my eye on that one as well ... I've been contemplating a braggot for a few months, but with everything that's been going on in my personal life as of late don't know if I could make it as a group brew. Don't think I'll be doing much until things calm down a bit, but if you all do a braggot I would follow the thread closely and learn from your collective knowledge.

FYI if you decide to jump in there is a honey packer in Sultan that has cheap 5gal buckets. I don't see a point in using more expensive floral varieties when doing things with a lot of other flavors that would dominate things.

#34 Poobah58

Poobah58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew Milford, CT

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

I may have to get inti this! :sarcasm:

#35 BeesNBrews

BeesNBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Ohio

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Looks like it's going to be an all moderator group brew.

Sounds interesting [providing you would take on a lowly non-moderator :sarcasm: ]. Besides, I still have 30# of blueberries and loads of honey in the basement. Any timeline?

#36 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

Sounds interesting [providing you would take on a lowly non-moderator :sarcasm: ]. Besides, I still have 30# of blueberries and loads of honey in the basement. Any timeline?

Check the poll pinned at the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users