#481 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

I think that pound for pound chloride has more of an impact to flavor than sulfate.  in other words increasing the chloride by 50 ppm is going to have a much bigger impact than increasing gypsum by 50 ppm.  maybe I'm wrong but that's just my perception.

#482 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

There are times when you want the full and round effect of chloride and there are times when you don't. I have made beers where it leaned too much in that direction and others where there wasn't enough. The more I play with things, the more I realize that I like a dry beer and I really don't like beers that finish overly sweet. A little bump in sulfate can create that dry finish but of course... all of this depends on style too. As I have mentioned, I will always be a student of this hobby.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 27 July 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#483 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

There are times when you want the full and round effect of chloride and there are times when you don't. I have made beers where it leaned too much in that direction and others where there wasn't enough. The more I play with things, the more I realize that I like a dry beer and I really don't like beers that finish overly sweet. A little bump in sulfate can create that dry finish but of course... all of this depends on style too. As I have mentioned, I will always be a student of this hobby.

taste perception is too tricky to nail down to ever fully "get it".

#484 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

taste perception is too tricky to nail down to ever fully "get it".

Sure. Then throw in that the same beer tastes different on different days based on what you've eaten, what else you have had to drink, tastebud fatigue, whether you're sick or not, meds you might be on, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users