#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've used us05 on occasions for IpA's in a pinch. This time I used it in a all Cascade 1:1 ApA. I have always read that people complain about it throwing some diacetyl. I got it in this beer. Its not a slick feeling or anything but a subtle hint on the back of the pallet. People who drank it enjoyed the beer and commented how nice it was. Im sensitive to diacetyl and can pick it out a mile away. So obviously I was a little perturbed about it. This is now twice this has happened to me using this yeast. I could barely pick it out in a IpA once, but the hops covered it well.Something else I did which I dont usually do and have been experimenting with mixed results is cold crashing in primary then straight to keg. I usually do a secondary. So a word of caution. If you choose to use us05, I wouldn't primary crash using this strain. I think this technique played a factor in the diacetyl in this beer.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

never gotten diacetyl myself, but I don't use it too often as I have never loved it's flocc rate, but I still secondary all my beers, with the exception of hefe's and Wits

#3 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'll second the secondary... :P My last beer I went from primary to a keg and I tried to secondary a bit in there before I threw it in the fridge, but the keg was full of yeast. It took forever to clear out. It did eventually, very nicely.I only have one carboy that I'm fermenting in and I'm gonna be looking to find another for the beer I did yesterday. Secondary works for a reason. It gives the yeast a chance to clean up unwanted of flavors and the beer to stabilize.Can't wait till I get back home to get my gear. At least I have been fortunate to borrow lots of stuff to keep things going till i do.Oh, and Blktre, I did the hops in a bag inside my keg on this last pale ale, and it really made a nice difference. I may do that again. I used an ounce of whole Amarillo and never secured the bag, just left in in in there till the end.. Of course the last few beers were a little on the hoppy side! Next time I'll wedge it in the tube half way up.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

I agree for a different reason. I have always heard people say that US05 throws some esters like peach/appricot and sometimes apple. I didnt used to believe it, but I have used it my cream ale several times and have had taste come through pretty definitively. Interestingly, people enjoy it with the beer. It makes the easy drinking summer beer ever more "summery", but it is not to style and really ticks me off.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think this is where my palate comes in to play, as in I am not that sensitive to these off flavors. I also ferment my ales at 62F for an extended period of time (2-4 weeks, depending), so I don't tend to have these kinds of off flavors.Cheflamont - I am surprised that you would get off flavors considering how carefully you monitor the temperature of your primary ferments.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Secondary works for a reason. It gives the yeast a chance to clean up unwanted of flavors and the beer to stabilizeThat's always been my protocol as well. Oh, and Blktre, I did the hops in a bag inside my keg on this last pale ale, and it really made a nice difference. I may do that again. I used an ounce of whole Amarillo and never secured the bag, just left in in in there till the end.. Of course the last few beers were a little on the hoppy side! Next time I'll wedge it in the tube half way up.

Try it wedged next time and your last bit should be more like the first. Seems to me that Amarillo and Simcoe can handle extended dry hop times without getting vegetal.

I agree for a different reason. I have always heard people say that US05 throws some esters like peach/appricot and sometimes apple. I didnt used to believe it, but I have used it my cream ale several times and have had taste come through pretty definitively. Interestingly, people enjoy it with the beer. It makes the easy drinking summer beer ever more "summery", but it is not to style and really ticks me off.

Im rethinking that this strain isn't for me any longer. Seems unpredictable.

I think this is where my palate comes in to play, as in I am not that sensitive to these off flavors. I also ferment my ales at 62F for an extended period of time (2-4 weeks, depending), so I don't tend to have these kinds of off flavors.Cheflamont - I am surprised that you would get off flavors considering how carefully you monitor the temperature of your primary ferments.

I fermented it at 66-68*. Shouldn't of been an issue.

Edited by BlKtRe, 06 May 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Im rethinking that this strain isn't for me any longer. Seems unpredictable.

Strange thing is that this yeast has produced this ester consistently over a few different batches in this cream ale. I have fermented at 66-67. Maybe 68 tops. Like I said, it isnt unpleasant, but at the same time it is not to style.If I am going to drive a lower temp for cleanness, I will probably use 001 or 1056. Or maybe Cry Havoc that is supposed to be pretty clean at lower temps right?

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

IIRC there can be different places of manufacture for the Saf yeasts, US-o5 seems a bit inconsistant to me as well, and the S-23 is really inconsisitant

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm not a yeast expert, but I'll ask this question out of curiosity. How old was the US-05 that you used. I know many brewers swear by liquid yeast only and keep dry on hand in there is a problem. That yeast used can be very old and maybe it is performance bad so you are getting more off flavors. I'll also ask if you rehydrated or not?

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm not a yeast expert, but I'll ask this question out of curiosity. How old was the US-05 that you used. I know many brewers swear by liquid yeast only and keep dry on hand in there is a problem. That yeast used can be very old and maybe it is performance bad so you are getting more off flavors. I'll also ask if you rehydrated or not?

Month old packets. Well within its best used date. I will never, ever pitch questionable yeast.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I hope this isn't a new issue with US-05 because I've not experienced negative issues in the past.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

I hope this isn't a new issue with US-05 because I've not experienced negative issues in the past.

I've had the peach/apricot ester in the past, but it always seems to dissapate fairly quickly

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think its hit and miss. I've heard about it at least a few years ago.

Edited by BlKtRe, 07 May 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#14 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Last summer I thought my cream ale had a slight pear-like flavor to it but the gf disagreed. I'll be interested to see if that flavor is in the batch that's nearing it's end in primary. US-05 was used in both.Beach

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

A yeast weep has to be a first around here.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

A yeast weep has to be a first around here.

I dunno, S-23 has been weeped more than once

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Good point. But if blktre can't quit US-05, then we'll know it was a true weep.

#18 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

love so5 fermented at 62

Edited by Buzz Buzzard, 08 May 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Its official then. I'm weeping us05 out into the yard. Kaput!

#20 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

send pauly yeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users