#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

How low of an OG is okay?  I happened to check this years cider (which I don't always do) and noticed it was only around 1.041.  any potential issues here?  I just do natural ferments and as usual it's taking a while to get started in my cool basement (55F).  Last years cider was 1.048 I think.  thoughts?

#2 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

I made a couple of batches this fall with an OG of 1.042.  That's not too low and will still result in a cider of around 5.5% ABV assuming a final gravity of around 1.000.  Plenty strong.  You can always add a quarter cup of sugar per gallon or more... but it isn't necessary to get the strength that the average human wants and expects.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I made a couple of batches this fall with an OG of 1.042.  That's not too low and will still result in a cider of around 5.5% ABV assuming a final gravity of around 1.000.  Plenty strong.  You can always add a quarter cup of sugar per gallon or more... but it isn't necessary to get the strength that the average human wants and expects.

i was mostly just worried that at some point the OG would be so low that i would have a highly unstable product b/c of lack of alcohol or something.

i may be just starting to see the earliest signs of fermentation now but I really need to look back at my past wild ferments to make myself feel better about my current 4 day lag.  i guess to be fair it probably takes 5 gallons of cold cider a little while to warm up.

Edited by TheGuv, 21 November 2013 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users