4 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

I got to this place all the time so I've got a pretty good handle on it...1. AmbienceLooks like an English pub. Usually has soccer on the TVs and I think is even owned by an English guy. It also has the only snooker table in the area. Darts and a pinball machine are in the back. Punk/hardcore musical acts (when they have live music which doesn't seem as often these days) are the norm.2. ServiceThe waitresses/bartenders all do well enough. I don't find them annoying so no complaints here. Mark, the manager, is a good guy. If you show up and start getting belligerent he will toss you out (just like he should). I appreciate this b/c it keeps the meathead quotient pretty low.3. FoodProbably my favorite pub food in the area. Fish and chips are good, the wraps are good, the bangers and mash are good. You always have an option to get your fries beer battered for a small extra charge and I would always recommend this as these are some of the best fries I've ever had. This isn't fine dining but it's very solid pub fare. I've been here close to 100 times and I'd say the food is on the mark 98% of the time.4. BeerThis is where this place really shines. They've got a solid draft beer list that has most of the English/Irish favorites. If you ask for any light American lagers they'll inform you they don't have any. Usually I get Guinness, Smithwicks, Fullers (ESB or London Pride), Boddingtons, Old Speckled Hen, etc. They also have cask conditioned ales served on a beer engine!!! The inventory rotates here but they pretty much always have Old Thumper which quite good.5. ValuePretty standard prices for food and beer. Thursdays is pint night and all pints are $3 from 4-9 I think. Given the quality of the food and beer selection I'd say the value is quite good.OverviewMy go to bar in Portsmouth. It's not the most fancy establishment but it pretty much never disappoints. Definitely check it out if you are in the area and like places that have a classic pub feel.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Coat is awesome. Between that and The Brewery, you don't need much more.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

Coat is awesome. Between that and The Brewery, you don't need much more.

When it comes to drinking, you are correct. I do like the burgers at the Rusty Hammer though. Also Dos Amigos has some pretty solid burritos, tacos, etc.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

I was always a Muddy River fan...and Moe's. Had me a lot of Moe's when I was working downtown. Downtown Portsmouth is just a great place in general.

Edited by JKoravos, 21 July 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Downtown Portsmouth is just a great place in general.

I usually have a good time :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users