So I went ahead and did a Bochet Mead. Uncharacteristically, I didnt do very much measuring or calculating before hand, and I just eyeballed it. Well, I knew something was not right when my refractometer didnt even register the index. So I went to the hydrometer, and it read just a bit under 1.160. Yikes.
I pitched my 71B and let it rip. I even did a staggered nutrient addition. It finished, and I let it sit a couple of weeks. Yesterday I measured the gravity with the same hydrometer, and it is now ~1.084. So it is at about 10% ABV. Believe it or not, it tasted sweet for sure, but not as idiotically sweet as you might think for that gravity. Tasted good.
Now I am wondering what to do. Get another pitch of yeast going and hit it with that, dilute some, a little of both. It's too sweet where it is.