#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hi All, Whatever I decide will only be the second batch of cider ever made. I put one together with a gallon of guava, 3 gallons of apple, 3 pounds of clove hone and WLP 530 slurry, and it came out very light and Sauvignon Blanc like in spite of hitting 9%. Not bad for a first batch.I was wondering if anyone has used Cranberry juice and what did it bring to the glass? What if I subbed the guava for cranberry? I'd use the same apple and honey and a packet of Belle Saison yeast.Thoughts?Thanks, Mike

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28298 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

I've done a cranberry melomel and also a melomel/cyser.  Both were 5ish gal batches that 5-6lb of cranberries were added to in secondary.  The melomel was 9-10% and the melomel/cyser was 12-13%, the higher alcohol one definitely pulled more color and tartness out of the cranberries.  No experience with cranberry juice, sorry.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Pods, what if I were to add whole frozen cran's to the apple? If so, could I put them in right at the start of the ferment?

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Only thing I would offer is to monitor the pH carefully. 

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

I've done a cranberry melomel and also a melomel/cyser.  Both were 5ish gal batches that 5-6lb of cranberries were added to in secondary.  The melomel was 9-10% and the melomel/cyser was 12-13%, the higher alcohol one definitely pulled more color and tartness out of the cranberries.  No experience with cranberry juice, sorry.

How much fruit character, acidity and astringency did you get from using the cranberries at that 5-6#/5gal. rate? 

Also, how thoroughly did you break them up?

Thanks.

Edited by nettles, 15 December 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#6 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Freeze the cranberries, let them slightly thaw, lightly crush.  Do not put into food processor as the seeds will add some astringency.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

Freeze the cranberries, let them slightly thaw, lightly crush.  Do not put into food processor as the seeds will add some astringency.

Awesome. Would not have thought about that with the seeds.

Fresh cranberries are everywhere and cheap around here since they are locally grown. I have been thinking about a cranberry mead with a little orange zest added for a while now. Probably target about 1.012-1.015 for an FG to help balance out the acid and tannins from the fruit.

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28298 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Pods, what if I were to add whole frozen cran's to the apple? If so, could I put them in right at the start of the ferment?

I added them in secondary so ideally the primary ferment wouldn't blow off any subtle aspects.

How much fruit character, acidity and astringency did you get from using the cranberries at that 5-6#/5gal. rate? 

Also, how thoroughly did you break them up?

Thanks.

In the 14% batch it pulled a moderate amount of fruit and tartness out, the 10% was on the lower side.

I frozen them and pushed on them some with a potato masher when I poured them into the secondary bucket before racking in, but mostly relied on the freezer to break up the cells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users